Thursday, March 1, 2007

Month One...abc block

***Since I seem to be the only one doing this sampler of Cheri Payne's I don't have another blog that follows the progress of each block. But I liked how we did that with the Sweet Land of Liberty quilt. So I decided to put all the blocks and instructions together on the same date just like I did for the SLOL block hints. All these will be under March 1st, 2007, and in order, so anyone who comes across these later can use the tips and pictures to help them make their own quilt.***Remember that in reality these post were written starting in October 2008****

Month one was fairly easy. Buggy Barn provides tons of fabric and I have lots left over. I chose to cut out the ABC letters and sew them with needleturn instead of making them out of bias tape as Cheri did. Just easier for me.
The branch stems are approx. 1/2 inch and just steam ironed over as were the legs.
Also missing on the pattern as it turns out is the size of the border strips around the block. The pattern I have calls for them to be 1 1/4" cut. (1.25")...they will finish at 3/4 inch.

I think Cheri probably just sewed on larger pieces and cut them down once she got to assembling the blocks, which isn't a bad idea really. Would have helped me with my goof! Enjoy!

**OMG!!***PLEASE PAY ATTENTION WHEN LAYING OUT YOUR PIECES! I just realized I made this block WRONG!! It's supposed to be taller...not wider. Oh well that's the beauty of her quilts. I'll add a 1" strip on the bottom and trim the side pieces or more likely make up the difference in the I and J block that has wider side pieces*** oh lordy, I just made the background and then laid it out as I normally would paying no attention!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just stumbled across your blog on Christmas Eve but I have so pleased to see your blog about ABC Sampler - I have just started to make this quilt and I am having fun and games with the measurements of things and instructions! So after Santa has been I am going to come back and find more tips ...

Anonymous said...

Would it be possible for you to tell me how wide the strip around the abc block should be cut? 1 inch or 1 and a half is what I am guessing - I can't find the instruction for that at all ...