Thursday, June 12, 2008

now don't drop dead...

but I sewed! Armed with a muscle relaxer and 2 tennis elbow arm bands tightly wrapped around my forearms, I decided to finally sew a block together that I cut out what seems like months ago and really wanted to sew. It had taken about 2 hours to mount a plan for sewing it and draw out each step. It's from a BOM offered here, and involves a very complex piecing pattern. Or at least this is the only way I figured out to sew it. If you have other suggestions I'd love to know them.

Since I had the camera I took shots as I sewed, and thought others might like to see how to sew a very complex partial seam block! At least how I figured it out...

The finished product seen below...

First lay out all the pieces in the right place. Then sew together the top corner block completely, set back in place; and then the two gold/green side half square triangles. Then lining up the top edge of the red/pink plaid triangles, sew only HALF way down the seam. Press carefully to the green!

See the seam only goes half way down. (I should have gone another 1/4" or so) See below...

After pressing, lay one side at a time up on the pieced block. Pin this so the loose edge of the triangle doesn't shift and sew all the way down to the corner. See below...

First side sewn and pressed. See below...

Fold over the second side, pin, and sew as before.

Now both sides are done...see below. But the triangles are free.

If you tip up both sides, now you have the ability to get to the triangle edge so you can sew on the second hst. This is the only way I could figure out to do this. I pinned this because I was working with 3 bias edges and it kept shifting. Sew on the pale triangle and press. See below...

Now sew on the first flying geese block for the star points and then sew the next section after adding the corner piece first! See below...

Next, we have to finish up the final seams. Fold down the top half so that the open seams line up. I should have gone a bit farther with my first seam because I had to really sew up tight. Make sure you go about half way down the triangle side. Sew the side.

Press the seam...

and do the same thing with the next seam again. Then press....

All done! Seems complicated, but really it's just a step by step process and working them out first on paper makes it go easy. You can see my notes in the background.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Can't believe you are tackling this one - bad girl! But it looks great! Your method looks good. I probably would have completely sewn those little red triangles and sewn that last section with it's inset seams, not that that would be any easier.

Anonymous said...

I am impressed, especially since you aren't supposed to sewing at all. :) I know how hard it is to not do something you really want to do. Congrat on figuring out how to sew without hurting yourself.
Carolyn/silkquilter01@yahoo.com

Carol said...

That is quite a block...what a neat BOM...those fabrics are just perfect! I never use those fabrics but I sure would in this project...I LOVE it!

Dixie Howard said...

Its great to have you back! I wouldn't even know where to start with such a complicated block, so am really impressed with how you accomplished this. The fabrics are great - prim is still my favorite - but summer calls for something bright! Hoping to work on SLOL this weekend.

Darlene said...

Wow, great block and fabulous tutorial. Please don't overdo!

:-)
Hugs

Ginger Patches said...

Wow! You don't mess around when you get back into sewing do you?? That is a beautiful block...the quilt is going to be a knock-out!!

Mary Johnson said...

WOW, pretty block - hope your arm continues to improve!

Karen said...

I don't think you could have picked a harder block to jump back into sewing with! Looks like a real challenge. Are you going to make more?

Patti said...

Oh Judy -- I'm so very sorry you've been having so much trouble with your arms! Once again I got so far behind on blog reading, and now find out what an awful time you've been having. I sure hope you are still on the road to recovery. I can't imagine the withdrawal you must have been suffering not being able to sew. Sending you lots of cyber hugs my friend!

This is a fascinating block, and I love the fabrics you've chosen for it! I am glad it's you and not me who is piecing it however LOL!