Tuesday, October 28, 2008

argggghhhh...


Wanna strike fear in the very heart of a quilter??? well, it happened to me yesterday. I was booking along..... sewing, pressing, sewing, pressing...I am a pressing fanatic. The hotter the better. I start to press and I pull up my iron and all I see are giant wet marks. Holding up the iron and tipping it got water streaming out of the holes!!

Yep, it died. Right in the middle of sewing! My Sunbeam wonder with the 12 foot cord was dead. 12 feet people, I measured!

So doing what any respectable quilter would do, I put on my shoes and off I went. Nothing at Walmart was suitable, and luckily I went past our Linen's and Things and in there were the Rowena's. I got the best iron EVER!!

I was nervous about not having a teflon finish on the bottom but I shouldn't have been. This baby glides on air...hence the Air Glide name on the plate. It's even hotter than the other one and I'm not even using steam at the moment! Look how the bottom sparkles!
It only has a 7 1/2 foot cord but you can't get everything. I almost got the one above this one but it didn't seem worth and extra $30 bucks and I'm seriously satisfied with this model. if you need a new iron, I'd recommend this little wonder with the aqua blue belly. Just fabulous!

11 comments:

Paula said...

Good to know info....my iron is making popping noises and doesn't seem to heat as hot as it once did. I HATE buying a new iron.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Nothing says lovin' like a new shiny iron! I got all excited when I got a new iron and extra large ironing board...I'm sure it's only us quilters that can be that way!

Carolyn said...

I have the same iron and have a tip on the use of your new iron. Don't drop it. It doesn't like to be dropped. Don't ask me how I know... :o)

Christina said...

I'm would love to have a 12 food cord!! but I have learned to only use bottled water or some day you will have brown streeks on your fabric.

Elaine Adair said...

I'll bet the "iron issue" is one of the most unpopular parts of quilting!

julieQ said...

Yum! I use the cheapee ones up until they give up the ghost...then buy another one!!

Karen said...

I bought a new iron several months ago. I went expecting to buy another Rowenta but the new ones did not have the teflon coating. What was on display in the store had awful looking bottoms for some reason. I am glad to know that they don't need the teflon and will consider one in the future.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Yeah mine died a few weeks ago. I couldn't make up my mind so I bought one for 9.99 for now until I can decide on a better one! I have always loved the non-teflon irons! My cheap one has teflon and I"m hating it!

Needle, Thimble and Thread said...

sorry to hear about the passing of your iron!

just went through this myself a few weeks back. Hubby went out to get a replacement while he was out and brought back a Rowenta without an auto shutoff. I'm not to keen about losing that option on an iron.

have a great week!
christine

Roseanne said...

I can not believe it my Iron did the same thing I was making a quilt.right in the middle of it. shoes on down the street I went to get another one. Yes I got one back to ironing again.

Ginger Patches said...

I love my Rowenta and it's been going strong for 15 years now!!