Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Someone stop me!...

Like I told my yahoo group...this is WAAYYY too much fun! I promise I won't torture you all week with hundred of pictures! Where is all this wool going? It was in the closet in bundles, so it might end up back there again. But I've got the colors and I might as well finish the dying process this week. So today I started with ANTIQUE GOLD and then did AGED BROWN. Yummy colors and I learned a lot about the process and changing the results. A big pot of gold...wool that is!

If you seriously want to use this product to dye with I suggest spending the $10 for a swatch booklet that includes the swatches of color. It's a much better representation of the true colors than the little square next to the online color. Those are done in what I can only assume much bigger pieces and they appear much lighter and weirdly brighter than what you really get in the end.

All the gold dry and pretty!


I also realized that what you start out with makes a huge difference. One of the gray herringbone wools didn't take the gold at all. It really didn't have very much light to grab so it just looked gray and ugly. SO I pulled it out covered it with water and saved it for the brown pot. **if you enlarge the FIRST picture and look in the center of the picture, you'll see a bit of the grey herringbone that's not at all attractive looking in gold.**
Quick change of the water and I went right into the Aged Brown. it really has a lot of red in it. it worked fantastic too! The two pieces on the bottom got pulled after about 6 minutes. I wanted them lighter. the top section was left longer. I think that brown spot was a bit of dye that hadn't dissolved quite enough before adding the wool. Cool!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! okay... I actually think I could do this!

Paula said...

I'm not stopping you, you look like you're having way too much fun!!! The one with the dark spot looks old....very nice.

antique quilter said...

amazing to see the finished product, you sound like you had a blast!
what yahoo group do you belong to?
sounds like a fun one!
Kathie

Anonymous said...

What yahoo group? Your wool is absolutely gorgeous! Also read the other post and saw those yummy fabs for the Christmas quilt....can't you get that done in time for 08?!!! Get crackin! LOL

Quilts And Pieces said...

OMG! I LOVE these! Hmmm, I"ll have to start buying wool from you!

Carol said...

OMG I'm not going to stop you...you're having way too much fun. It's beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

Ginger Patches said...

Don't stop, I love it! Those are some beautiful colors. O.k. I may have to try this...after Christmas!