Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Still stitching...

Right now I am having the best time working on these 2 quilts. I got a few more blocks done and I have some big paper pieced Santa's to make today. I got stuck on this Old Time Santa block and was overwhelmed, I guess, by the small pieces and what to choose for the background. Heck it wasn't hard at all really. I think I was just stuck and over whelmed in general. It's over now.
So here's Santa so far...a tad bit un-finished. I have to finish at least one pp Santa so I can add him to the old time guy's left side. I need the extra edge to be able to sew down his bird, hand, and birdhouse. It goes over onto the other block. Isn't it funny how you notice things in pictures that you don't see before?? The roof for the birdhouse isn't white. That's the freezer paper. It's black. I also forgot the staff and didn't remember it until I visited Karen's blog and saw her blocks, so I cut one out... but I think I'll change it to brown before I sew it. I'll see when I compare them.

Next up the log cabin block...

I have a bone to pick with these patterns, but I'll try to be brief. What do you do with the paper pieced block? I thought it said to add the seam allowances. So many times it does or doesn't need them. The flag didn't need any side allowance, but the top and bottom did. Now I make 7 little flying geese and it's way to tall, so I took one off. I don't mind the changes. I'd just like to understand how to do it. If I made the pieces exactly as she drew them, when I sewed them together all the tips would be cut off. I don't mind wonky, but having all the tips cut off in the same place looks badly pieced...not wonky. Oh well, I'll climb down now off the soap box.

Someone asked for pictures of the boys. They don't cooperate as well anymore, so I took them on the sly during morning nap time! Pixel sleeps in the box by the patio window... and Noodle...well, the big boy takes over the whole end of the sofa! This is why I own the purple pet Dyson with the cat hair attachment! You don't leave my house without a special treat to take home. We laugh all the time about us never being able to get away with a crime. The cat hair would give us away immediately!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Santa there is soooo cute! I can't wait to get the pattern, maybe I'll start it and add yet another UFO to my pile! I neatly organized 3 of my BOM's each into their own project box, so what's one more? Is yours a BOM or are you using your own fabric? And I feel the same way about these patterns, they are something else. The boys are soooo cute! And I know what you mean about the cat hair, I could vacuum every day and would still have to empty the vacuum at least once when vacuuming. You'd think they'd be bald the rate they lose hair.

atet said...

Love those blocks. What a fun project!

Libby said...

Ahhh - we haven't seen the boys in such a long time.

Darlene said...

Handsome boys, indeed!

You have been busy, busy, busy! Good for you - that Mojo is back and going strong. :-)

Lea said...

Wooo, Another great blocks! I love you old time santa! Love this background fabric too! Ahh, It's just so perfect!
Also Love your log cabin.My.... You are busy lady! I'm enjoying reading your blog all the time.:-)
P.S. Your boyfriends are so-o-o-o adorable!!!!

Susan said...

I can feel the energy from the work you are doing now. It is inspiring to the rest of us.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Santa is WONDERFUL! And I love the log cabin!

Terry said...

What a lovely quilt this will be. I just love watching your progress. The Santa block is especially nice. Thanks, Terry